Sunday, February 7, 2010

One and done.

I completed week one of my training. Yep...done.

That's all the energy I can muster right now. I'm tired. My body actually feels pretty good. My fatigue is from a lack of sleep, thanks to my inconsiderate 21-year old upstairs neighbor who thinks he lives in a college dorm and not a condo with working adults. His little party went on well past 3 a.m. I'll deal with that matter tomorrow when the HOA office opens up. That nonsense aside, I'm pleased with what I've accomplished--getting started. The first step is the most difficult one.

Friday I was up at 5:45 a.m. and went to the community center. Arriving there at 6:10 a.m., I found there was only one open treadmill. I got on and started walking in order to warm-up. But I found it tricky to program the intervals I needed for my specific walk/run series. On the way over, the weather outside was cold and cloudy and no rain at all. Heck...I went on outside. I was dressed for it anyway. It was cold, about 33 degrees. Once I got started my body temp increased, and by the end of the series I wasn't cold anymore. Other people were out with me: an older woman, and a man who looked to be in his 70s, with his walker! If he can get up and out there in the cold with an apparatus to assist him anyone can.

(Lesson: Inspiration comes in many forms, and not when one expects.)

My workout was indoors yesterday. I had a hair appointment at 12:30 p.m. The weather here yesterday was a rain & snow mix, later turning into snow. I should have gone to the fitness center before the appointment and walked the treadmill for half-an-hour. Nope. I lingered at home and was on the phone and let the time tick down to noon before I got dressed and left. Oops. And no, I didn't go after my "do" was done. By then the snow was sticking to the roads and they were getting icy. And the wind was gusting up to near 50 mph. I went straight home and used the weights, worked on my (missing) abs, and stretched for a while. I did work up a sweat, which doesn't take much for me. :-)

Today our weather is sunny with a high temp near 29. I put on my heavy duty sweats, knit cap and gloves and went out to the track at the community center. There is little ice on the ground. After all the wet, then cold, weather we had here I was surprised how well the roads are. Nothing close to the icy road conditions here last weekend. I was the only one on the track today. I played my podcast and once the music ended after the cool down, I cued up Submensas (my honey's band--awesome!) and walked another quarter-mile. I felt that good. In spite of sleeping for just four hours.

Having the podcast as a coach has been a huge motivator. I can focus on my breath and not worry about time thanks to the verbal cues. This really helped me today because I was really tired and didn't even want to go out. Thinking of "Walker Man" got me off my duff and out the door.

Now I'm back home. I had a late lunch, and need a shower. I've got laundry to do and a tax return to get started on.

Week two begins on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment